May 22, 2011

The Engagement

This proposal story begins with a local fine art auction and lot 421. I've been attending these auctions since last fall after my mother's friend invited us to check out a public preview. Even if you aren't in the market for fine art, collectibles, furniture or jewelery, I highly recommend going to an auction for the entertainment value alone. They are free, there's no obligation to bid on anything, and you can't beat the people-watching!

At the December auction, lot 421 was a ladies diamond engagement ring and wedding band set. J and I had been talking about marriage and were living together so I mentioned the ring to him but nothing came of it. This ring was gorgeous and I was certain that someone bought it but I patiently waited 3 months until the next auction and hoped that it was still available. And it was! 

J was working the night of the auction so I brought my sister for moral support. We set a price limit and were getting pretty excited since this was a high quality ring and the estimated cost had decreased by over $1000 because there was no interest at the last auction. After some serious nerves, and getting caught up in a bidding war, I was victorious! The ring was ours! And the clock started ticking for J :)

Although I knew a proposal was coming at some point, I had no idea when or even what the ring looked like since J custom designed a new ring for me using the diamonds we bought at the auction. One night after work, we were driving to a favourite restaurant for dinner when J pulled over near a residential development by the river wanting to look at some condos that were for sale. I'd never been to this area and was pleasantly suprised to find a beautiful park and walking trail that stretched along the river. As we walked along the peaceful riverbank, we talked about our future together: buying a home, having a dog, going on a vacation. I noticed that J was distracted and his hand was clammy, and even though a proposal had been on my mind for a few weeks, I was completely suprised when J pulled out the ring and made it official! On Friday the 13th no less!



We quickly called family and friends and then continued to the restaurant for dinner to celebrate with chinese food :) While this isn't a traditional proposal since I technically bought my own ring and it wasn't from a jewellery store, I love that our engagement was unique. I love that my ring is so special and has a real history. The large diamond in my ring was cut before 1920 in a style that's no longer used, and the small diamonds are from a wedding band engraved with a 1946 wedding date. I think it's terribly romantic that the start of our life together is the continuation of someone else's love story, made especially for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment