September 06, 2012

We Get Married: Setting the Scene

Our ceremony was held at Canadian Memorial United Church. The church was built in 1928 as a peace memorial to honor those who served and died in World War I.



The church features beautiful stained glass windows dedicated to each Canadian province.
 



We chose to let the beauty of the church speak for itself by using minimal decor. Candles were placed at the altar to give warmth to the space. Instead of an aisle runner or pew bows, I made ivory chiffon flowers to line the aisle and give a little pop of interest.

 


J and his groomsmen arrived 30 minutes before the ceremony and relaxed in the groom's room in the back of the church as guests took their seats and our ushers handed out programs.

My ladies and I got to church about 10 minutes before the ceremony and made our way to the front vestibule where large double doors hid us from guests in the pews. I pictured the minutes before walking down the aisle as a peaceful time for me to reflect on what brought us to this point and to collect myself for the big entrance.

Well it didn't turn out that way at all. I was literally surrounded by people, with J's Mom crying  while Devon and her assistant solved the mini-crisis of my Mom's corsage.

Everything from the rehearsal had flown out of my head and I realized that my beautiful cathedral length veil was still at home! Some members of J's family were late and risked missing the ceremony completely. And I was suddenly flustered. These moments weren't part of my careful planning! In a few minutes over 100 people would be watching me and J share a very intimate moment and already things were going wrong?! What if I trip? What if I make a mistake saying my vows? What if I cry hysterically and nobody can understand me?

Beyond these practical concerns, it was an emotional time as I prepared to walk down the aisle without my father.

A few deep breaths later and I made a deal with myself: don't fall and don't have an emotional breakdown and everything will be ok once you get to J at the altar...

No comments:

Post a Comment