November 27, 2011

Just Desserts

Our fabulous reception venue offers a dessert selection as part of their buffet. How much of a selection is it? An awesome one! It includes a variety of whole cheesecakes, chocolate cakes and mousse cakes, plus pastries, squares and fresh fruit. Do we really need to serve a large wedding cake on top of this?


As an avid baker I'd love to plan (and taste test!) for a beautiful cake. But, as a guest I've only been served wedding cake at one of the last four weddings I attended and only two of those couples even had a cake cutting. It's a basic wedding fact that lots of guests won't eat your cake, so I doubt many of ours will want some after indulging in the huge dessert selection.

We can't just sacrifice the cake though! It's a well-established tradition and I have a very sweet (haha) cake table idea. Plus the cake cutting makes a great photo op. 

If J does this to me, he'll be sleeping on the couch!
The solution? A small single tier cake that we can cut and then enjoy ourselves after the wedding. Unfortunately, our venue doesn't make their cakes in-house and won't be able to provide one for us. A grocery store cake just won't cut it, and there's the whole issue of delivery to consider. Hopefully I can find a local wedding cake baker to make this for us.

Check out these adorable little cakes! And they'll work perfectly with our cake topper (stay tuned for another DIY and to see how this little project turns out).









No comments:

Post a Comment