Our music selections are due at the church and our DJ soon and I couldn't put this off any longer. I've been collecting music suggestions and wedding playlists from magazines, websites and blogs for the last few months and spent WAY too many nights on youtube going through the options.
Let's talk about the ceremony music first, since that's the whole purpose of the day! J and I have very ecclectic music tastes so it was a tough process to find music that we loved and that fit the tone of the ceremony. Luckily our church has no restrictions on music, so we had a lot of freedom.
Classical music is a very popular choice and many brides are also using the Vitamin String Quartet to give modern bands like Coldplay, Snow Patrol and even Guns N' Roses a classical twist. The music minister at our church is available to play classical pieces on the piano or organ, which would be a lovely traditional choice given the great acoustics. But the only thing I knew for certain when starting to pick music is that I didn't want stodgy classical music and especially not Wagner's Bridal Corus!
Prelude music generally plays 15-30 minutes before the ceremony begins to welcome and entertain guests as they arrive. We're going with a selection of piano pieces that are calming and light.
Dawn, Pride and Prejudice Soundtrack
Glasgow Love Theme, Love Actually Soundtrack
Clair de Lune, Debussy
Legends of the Fall Theme, James Horner
Processional songs escort the bridal party down the aisle. There are many different processional configurations so your music choices will vary depending on how much time you need. Josh, the Best Man and Groomsmen will follow our Minister up to the altar. Then our moms will walk down the aisle, followed by the Maid of Honor and Bridesmaid J. We'll stick with a piano selection that's long enough for all of them to walk to.
A River Flows in You, Yiruma
For my processional I chose a dramatic and uplifting song that happens to be my favourite right now. Listening to all of these songs and thinking about the day gets me all emotional (and I'm not a crier!) so I really wanted a song that wouldn't get me too emotional.
Paradise, Coldplay
The interlude music covers parts of your ceremony with no words spoken, such as when you're signing the register or lighting a memorial candle.
Bless the Broken Road, Rascal Flatts
Stand By Me, Ben E King
The recessional song marks the end of the ceremony and your first minutes as husband and wife so it should be happy and fun. And to me, nothing's more fun than the Muppets!
Life's a Happy Song, The Muppets Soundtrack
It's a nice touch to have music playing as guests leave the church, also known as the postlude.
Lovely Day, Jill Scott
This Will Be (An Everlasting Love), Natalie Cole
Let's Stay Together, Al Green
No comments:
Post a Comment