April 22, 2012

How Inviting: The Design and Printing

Now that our invitations have safely arrived in the hands of our guests, I can share the details with you! We chose the Crysanthemum template from Download and Print and then completely customized the design with their online Pixlr software.


We kept the flower design of this template for our invitations and changed everything else, from the fonts and spacing to the wording and colours. Our suite includes:

1. Mini MOO card with engagement photos on one side and our website information on the other.




2. Reception Card. I re-worked the enclosure card template with directions into our reception card with location and details about the big party.

3. RSVP Card. Instead of using their reply card with the typical layout, I designed the RSVP card to include the number of seats reserved for each guest and contact information for Bridesmaid K (who will be handling RSVPs for me) and our website. Rather than providing a self-addressed stamped envelope (how many people actually mail back RSVPs?), guests are able to reply by telephone, email or on our website. I also used the enclosure card templates to create signs for our guestbook and card box at the reception and plan to make our ceremony programs with this design as well.

4. Invitation. I wanted to keep the wording simple and being in our early thirties we wanted to be hosts of our own wedding, so we chose "together with their parents" instead of the traditional "Mr and Mrs Bride's Parents" for the host line. By the way, I had the invitation written with "our" and "they" until a quick search of bridal mgazines and invitation websites convinced me that yes, invitations should be written in the third person. Lesson learned.


Membership to the Download and Print site was only $24.95 for one year of access to all of their templates. Even though it was a bit frustrating to download and work in Mozilla Firefox, and there was a lot of trial and error in the design process, in the end I'm so happy with this decision. We got totally unique invitations that we love plus reception cards, RSVP cards, programs and reception signage that are all coordinated and very professional looking. The size A7 invitations print 2 per 8 1/2 x 11" page, while the enclosure and RSVP cards print 4 per page so these templates are really friendly to your budget and the environment.

Once your design is finished, simply save as a JPEG file and you're ready to print either at home or with a print shop. I had trouble finding the right cardstock and just didn't trust our little Epson printer to handle this large print job, so I looked for a local print shop. Suprisingly, Vancouver is home to many independent printing companies. I decided to start with Staples because I could submit my order online, didn't need to wait for a pricing quote and was happy with other printing they've done for me.

Before committing to the full job, I had Staples print one invitation for me to check their cardstock and colouring. It was perfect! The colours printed very true to their look on my computer screen and the 100lb cardstock was the ideal weight.

Stay tuned for details on our assembly sweatshop adventure and the full reveal...




No comments:

Post a Comment